Find great deals on eBay for postal scale
Efficiency is one of the benefits of owning a postal scale. Be it for home or office use, a postal scale allows fast information on how much postage is applicable to an envelope or package. For business people, this is a good way to stay on a budget and control costs. The inconvenience of standing in line at the Post Office and waiting for one s turn as well as the time driving or going there is another consideration. There will always be long term advantages when owning a postal scale.
There are two types of postal scales:
- Manual or mechanical
These postage scales are also known as mechanical postage scales. They use a balance or spring to weigh envelopes or packages. Since this is a manual scale, the user will also manually go through the postage prices once the weigh is given. Manual scales have proven to be accurate but since users read weight from a mechanical needle, this can be prone to errors. This is one factor to be considered when getting a manual postage scale. The cost of the scale is much cheaper than a digital one so this is also a factor why people opt to get this scale.
- Digital or electronic
This type of scale uses a microprocessor which is pressure-sensing to give out a reading of the weight. This readout will then be the basis of the number given on the LCD panel. A lot of digital postage scales can be programmed for rates so the user can get the rates without referencing a table. Once the reading is made a corresponding postage price will also be given out making it convenient and faster.
Most people find it difficult to choose which type, model and brand of postal scale is going to be acquired. The number one factor when buying is the determination of need. The user must be able to identify where and for what the scale will used. One can also make decisions by going through the postal scale features:
- Security - Some models have capability to store passwords. This is a feature to watch for especially if the scale is used by authorized persons only.
- Design and layout - A scale should have easy to read LCD panels or scale numbers. One should get a model that is effortless to use and carry around.
- Capability to compare postage rates - A useful feature in most digital postal scales is the "comparison shopping option". With this option, the cheapest rate can be generated based on programmed rates by different couriers including First Class and Standard Class rates of the US Postal Service.
- Capacity - Almost all postal scales can weigh less than 2 lbs. Some can handle big packages and heavier weights. This is the first consideration when getting a postal scale. If the user foresee a diverse mix of weights and packaging then it would be best to get a scale that has options to change the weighing platform.
- Capability to connect to a postage meter - To further enhance the usefulness of the postal scale, digital types have the ability to link to directly link to postage meters. Some require special connectors and this should also be considered in terms of cost and availability.
- Accounting features - This feature is very useful when charges will be made to clients or departments. This allows automatic credit to an account as each envelope or package is weighed.
User preference should always be taken into account when buying a postal scale. The features presented will be able to help in making the right choice.